At Kaufman Realty & Auctions, we’re here to make moving easy. Use the moving checklist below to make sure you’ve got it all covered.
More than two months out
- Now is the time to make improvements to your home to help your home sell faster. Talk to your real estate agent about the projects that have the best return on investment or smaller projects you can do to make your home sell more quickly.
- Make a list of items that you no longer need. Donate or sell those items so you have fewer things to move.
Two months before your move
- Are you planning to use a professional mover? Contact them early to get on their schedule and get an estimate for what it might cost.
- If you need a rental truck for a “do-it-yourself” move, contact your local rental company.
- Keep all of your paperwork concerning the move in one file so nothing is lost or misplaced. Be sure to label this clearly to make it easy to access.
- If time permits, prepare your new home for arrival. (New paint, new locks, etc.)
- If you have children, now would be a good time to do the following:
- Call your children’s school to transfer all school records. Also call their new school to register them.
- Get your child familiar with the new location: look at maps and books or visit parks and restaurants nearby.
- Say goodbye to your children’s favorite places, like the park, library, pool, etc.
One month before your move
- Change your address
- Contact medical and dental offices to transfer records and prescriptions to a new clinic or pharmacy.
- Establish a new checking account if your new location isn’t served by your current bank.
- Make an inventory list of all of your belongings by room.
- Use up or finish and discard household items so there is less to pack and move.
Two weeks before your move
- Forward your mail, including magazines, newspapers, etc.
- Contact your utility companies and change your service to your new address.
- Ask family or friends to help you move.
- If you are changing banks, you can do this ahead of time and use online banking.
- As you are packing, keep two boxes in an easy-to-access location that are clearly marked:
- Everything you need for the first night in your new home (including scissors to open boxes)
- Important papers and housing documents
- Review your insurance policy for coverage during your move.
- Defrost your freezer and refrigerator. If you need to, ask a friend to store some frozen food items during your move.
Moving day has arrived!
- Do a final walk-through of the home to make sure all of your belongings have been removed.
Thinking about moving?
Contact us today and let our team of experienced agents help you find the perfect property. Whether you’re buying or selling, our personalized service will ensure a stress-free and successful real estate journey. Don’t wait. Get in touch now.