Kaufman Agent and Auctioneer
This week we continue our series of interviews with agents and staff members. We hope these quick peeks into the lives of our team members will go beyond putting a face with a name. These snippets will give you an informative and sometimes humorous look at our most important asset, our people. This week’s interview is with real estate agent and auctioneer Vern Yoder.
Vern is a recent addition to the Kaufman Team and comes with a wealth of experience. He is well known throughout the auction industry, especially in the livestock arenas. One of the top bid callers in the area he lives north of Winesburg in Holmes County with his wife Elisa, children Mason, Natalie, and Lincoln. A little tidbit, if you search the internet you may come across a clip of Vern auctioneering, set to a rap beat. It’s worth a couple minutes of your time.
Get to Know a Kaufman
- Full Name: Vernon Yoder
- Family: Wife Elisa; Children: Mason, Natalie, Lincoln
- Do you have a nickname, if so what is it and how did you get it: Vinny. I got my nickname in 6th grade from my keyboard teacher for not paying attention in class.
- First Job: Working on the home farm
- Worst Job: I always despised picking potatoes out of the garden and the dirt got stuck under my fingernails.
- Personal motto or credo: Treat others the way you want to be treated.
- A great day is comprised of these elements: waking up with a good cup of coffee, hearing my 2-year-old tell me “have a good day” when I leave for work, having the auction complete and being able to spend time with my family at the end of the day.
- Hobbies: hunting, going on vacation with family
- Favorite Sport or event to watch, live or on TV: FOOTBALL
- Proudest Childhood Accomplishment: Surviving with 3 sisters in the house and no brothers.
- What did you want to be when you grew up: Auctioneer: My family says I sold my dog many times out behind the barn…
- If you were a super hero, what powers would you have: being able to soar above the world and get a bird’s eye view.
- It’s Karaoke night and you have to sing, what’s your go to song: It’s finally Friday!
- What two stations or Podcasts do you listen to most in your car: AM 850 & 1100
- What makes you laugh: My children
- What is your favorite book to read and who is your favorite author: The Auctioneer written by the NAA.
- Alaska or Hawaii, which would you rather visit for vacation and why: Hawaii. I wanna go back there cause it was the shortest week of my life with all the activities available to do and so many things to see…
- Of your five senses, which is the strongest and why: Hearing. I have 3 kids in the house and can hear them a mile away!
- If you had a warning label, what would yours say: ATTN: BID AGAIN!
- How many pair of shoes do you own: 10
- If you could share a coffee with four individuals, living or dead, who would they be: I would love to have a cup of coffee with Abraham Lincoln, Ray Simms (The auctioneer song), Merlin Woodruff and my grandpa Eli Yoder.
- If you had to describe yourself using an animal, which one would it be and why: I would be a bear cause I could growl whenever I want to and nobody would care.
- What is something that scares you but you really want to try it: Ziplining
- What is something you tried that you’ll never do again: Wakeboarding cause I drank ½ the lake and wouldn’t let go of the rope!
- On a scale of 1 – 10 how painful is the questionnaire: 8
Kaufman serves Ohio, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania, with real estate and auction services as well as communities throughout the country through the MarkNet Alliance. Always adding a local face and local knowledge to your transaction, contact us and Get to Know a Kaufman agent or auctioneer.